Monday, May 11, 2009

Biology


"If you think it's hard raising your children, try raising someone Else's. "

At the end of this month I will have been with Dear Hubby for 6 years. We met at a concert (Good Charlotte, something he doesn't like to mention) he was on date with a girl he wasn't interested in and I wasn't going to let a good thing get away.

He was very honest about his son from the beginning, I met the rapscallion after we had been dating for about 3 weeks. He was 18 months old and he was hard not to fall for, I think he made Dear Hubby even more attractive to me. Here was this funny, kind man and he was a father. If I hadn't already had inklings that I was falling for him, I would think that I fell for him when I met the rapscallion.

I have never waivered in my feelings towards the Rapscallion, he is a wonderful addition to my life. He got his dad's looks, his mom's coloring and my sense of humor. We butt heads because we are so alike but I have never questioned my role in his life as his stepmother.

I have happily helped him make Mother's Day cards and gifts without expecting anything in return. I have washed underwear, jockstraps and hunted down baseball socks. I have held him while he threw up and cut his toenails every week without fail. I work on homework, make him eat his vegetables and try to impart a love of reading.

I am a better person because he is in my life and because of this I can honestly say biology is the least of what makes a woman a mother. We will celebrate Stepmother's Day on May 17th.

Not flesh of my flesh,
Nor bone of my bone,
But still miraculously my own.
Never forget for a single minute,
You didn't grow under my heart
- but in it
- Fleur Conkling Heylinger

1 comment: