Tuesday, March 9, 2010

USPS - It's Complicated

If my blog were a facebook account this would be the post wherein I change my relationship status with the United States Postal Service (USPS) to "it's complicated".

I have a real love/hate thing going on with my local post-office. I really like the people that work there, it is less than 1/2 a mile from my house and they have an Automated Postal Center (APC) for days when I just need to grab stamps. But they are also "seeing" other people in my neighborhood ('hood) on a regular basis and that makes me uncomfortable. I know the kind of people that live just on the other side of the main street and I don't want to be lumped in with that bunch. Not that I am being snobby and think I am so much better, I just shower regularly and don't talk to the ceiling tiles when visiting with my local USPS.

Last week I had to mail a package, I dropped by USPS to see what was up. They were busy and I am not known for being needy in a relationship so it was cool. I stood in line to use the APC; there were about 3 people in front of me and I was soon joined by a 65+ year old woman who was wearing a long blond "Dolly" wig, blue contact lens and false eyelashes at 3 in the afternoon. I was taken a little aback, I didn't know this was a formal occasion, I worried that I was under dressed. My older friend reassured me that she was cool with the kids as we talked about tattoos
(a side effect of having visible tattoos is conversations about tattoos with people who you may not always have thought about having a conversation about tattoos with)
She shared with me the stories behind her tattoos, she had roses like Cher and a likeness of her son who passed away. I also learned that she liked cats, knew about computers and was comfortable using a "check card" I started to have some misgivings about USPS's choice to spend time with her but then I felt bad for judging.

It was my time with the APC, I made my selections but quickly found out that the scale wasn't registering any weight. I was nicely reminded that there were people standing in line behind me, I must have lost track of time gazing at the APC, a helpful neighbor of mine pointed out that I should stop hitting "accept weight" because I might confuse the machine (no way it was her correct use of the English language that confused APC, it was me, hitting a button) so even though I waited for more than 15 minutes to have some alone time with APC I was forced to consider standing in the line which now stretched out the door.

Frustrated I left, I feel horrible for admitting this but I feel like USPS almost drove me into the arms of UPS (does anyone else think it is weird that all the UPS commercials feature a song by the "Postal Service"?) I had to go to UPS to have my needs taken care of but I came back to USPS this week.

I went to USPS to mail a package this week, I was hesitant, the line looked long again and my neighbors seemed even more disturbing than normal. I am convinced that the rain in Las Vegas drives people crazy, we just don't know how to deal with any weather that isn't HOT! or COLD and WINDY!

I stood in line when a nice postal worker pointed out that I could use APC, I was nervous, I had been embarrassed in front of everyone just last week! I shouldn't have gotten worked up, APC always takes care of me. I sent my package for Mamarazzi's swap away easily and quickly.

For now I haven't given up on USPS, I just wish we could be exclusive.

1 comment:

  1. You are a better woman than I... The post office has lost way to many of my packages, and even if you pay for the extra tracking and delivery confirmation, they don't give a shit... Maybe it is just my branch....

    ReplyDelete